Wednesday, March 4, 2009

More "Be Still and Know" News

We note that within the past 24 hours the listing of the play "Be Still and Know," scheduled to be performed by students from Sacred Heart High School of Atherton this Sunday at Most Holy Redeemer Parish, has been pulled from the "Events" page of the MHR website. We hope this means that our Archdiocese has caused the production to be cancelled, but we await confirmation.

For our previous detailed post on this subject, go here.

Meanwhile, here is a very clear excerpt from a statement by Bishop Joseph Martino of Scranton, PA, who has recently been faced with a similar situation:

"As the Bishop, it is not only my right, but my obligation to ensure that authentic Catholic teaching is being provided in all Catholic institutions in this Diocese, and that viewpoints in opposition to this teaching are not being presented as acceptable alternatives."

It really is that simple.

For Bishop Martino's full statement, go here.

h/t Te Deum Laudamus! and Curt Jester

Posted by Gibbons J. Cooney

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I go to Sacred Heart Prep and I want you to know that the play had NO AGENDA. I was hesitant at first to see it, but at the end of the play we had a class discussion about it. It did not influence my opinion about gay marriage (I am personally against it). In fact, it helped me understand why it is not accepted in the Church. So many people are making such a huge deal about this and they should see the play before they judge it.

Anonymous said...

I ALSO attend Sacred Heart Prep. I disagree with my fellow peer who posted anonymously above claiming the play had no agenda. If the play in fact had no agenda, why was the freshman classed forced to see it? I believe it is to influence the youngest minds to take a position in accordance with support for gay marriage