Tuesday, July 14, 2009

America Mag Writer on the Heathcare Bill

Jack Smith, over at "The Catholic Key" has been covering the Healthcare Bill and the abortion funding therein. (Here, here, and here). Today he posted this excerpt from a column by Michael Sean Winters at America magazine:

"To be clear: I have never voted for a Republican in my life. My mother told me my right hand would wither and fall to the ground if I did. But, if the President or my representatives in Congress support federal funding for abortion in any way, shape or form, I will never vote for them again and I might risk my right hand in the next election by voting for their opponent.

So, call your Senators and Representatives. Call the White House. Many of us pro-life Democrats have given the President the benefit of the doubt on the abortion issue because of his repeated commitment to trying to lower the abortion rate, a commitment he reiterated to Pope Benedict XVI last week. All the good will he has earned among Catholic swing voters, and all the arguments on his behalf progressive Catholics have mounted, all could be swept away if abortion is part of a federal option in health care. Politics is the art of compromise, but on this point, there can be none."

Needless to say, we agree with Mr. Winters on the last point. Let's hope his exhortation bears fruit.

Posted by Gibbons J. Cooney

No comments: