Tuesday, October 22, 2013

SF Seminarian Credits Fr. Malloy as "Particular Inspiration"

God bless our seminarians! This is from an article in the October 18 issue of Catholic San Francisco, the newspaper of the Archdiocese of San Francisco:

Grandmother’s great devotion helped instill priestly vocation

OUR SEMINARIANS: The paper will carry occasional articles by and about the 16 men who are in formation for the priesthood for the Archdiocese of San Francisco. This week’s article is by St. Patrick’s Seminary & University seminarian Alvin Yu.

"I was born and raised in San Francisco. My home parish is Sts. Peter and Paul Church, where I also went to elementary school. I attended Sacred Heart Cathedral Preparatory and did my undergraduate studies at San Francisco State University. After finishing college, I entered Saint Patrick’s Seminary & University, where I am currently in my second year of theological studies studying for the Archdiocese of San Francisco.

Reflecting on my journey toward entering the seminary and studying for the priesthood, I did not have a Damascus moment where God dramatically and unexpectedly called me to become a priest. Instead, my journey was one where God has gradually fostered my vocation through the different people and circumstances in my life...."

Later in the article the young man writes:

"The late Salesian Father John Malloy was of particular inspiration for me. As a high school freshman unfamiliar with the church’s moral teachings and growing up in an increasingly secular culture that saw the mayor at the time (Gavin Newsom) first issue same-sex marriage licenses, it was Father Malloy’s work in the area of defending life and traditional marriage that provided me a moral compass as to how to live a solid Christian life. And I was drawn to Father Malloy’s message precisely because it was not a message of hate or condemnation, but one of love as he never lacked charity and humility."

Read the whole thing. Mr. Yu is wise beyond his years, and his reflections show the importance of a family praying together. It will do your heart good. Father Malloy is certainly smiling from heaven!

No comments: