Sunday, November 7, 2010

"You weren’t looking at me. We were looking at God."

Fr. Z has some lovely reflections from a Priest celebrating his first Tridentine Mass. Excerpt:

"The Mass is a prayer addressed to the Father, and despite our best intentions, we clergy address it to the congregation at whom we are looking. You cannot help it. The human face is a powerful thing. Last Saturday night I realized for the first time that I was part of a family of faith directed toward the same heavenly Father. I felt as if I was part of a church at prayer. It was not my job. It was my church. I never realized how very lonely it is to say Mass facing the people. I am up there looking at you. I am not part of you. For 13 or 14 minutes. You weren’t looking at me. We were looking at God."

Read the whole thing.

No comments: